What are the interactions when Digoxin, Quinapril, Diltiazem and Furosemide are taken together?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I am on potassium,20mg. And quinapril 20 mg. and I am having problems. I'm swelling in legs(huge ankles)
My entire body aches and the soles of my feet hurt and burns as well as my big toe on left foot. I am o
40-80mgs.of furosemide a day,diltiazim(40 to 80mg.), and digoxin 0.25mg.Also Xarelto 20mg. Could there
be drug reactions? My legs continue to swell, no matter if in bed or sitting. If I keep them up, I can hardly
walk. Your suggestions,please
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
salt and fluid restriction, pain medication, additional heart medication

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The burning and pain would be due to increased fluid and may also be related to any underlying illness.

There are some interactions with your medications but you may not have any significant effects from these interactions.
Quinapril, diltiazem and furosemide all increase the effects of digoxin.
Alternatively digoxin also increases the level and effect of diltiazem.

None of the medications is associated with swelling of the feet specifically.

Swelling of the lower limbs may be associated with: (1) heart failure
(2)liver disease
(3)kidney disease
(4)venous disease- varicose veins

Digoxin is normally used in some patients with heart failure. If you have a history of heart failure, this would definitely be contributing to the fluid in your legs.

Blood tests would be needed to determine if the kidneys and liver are working okay or if they are also contributing to the fluid retention.

This means that your heart failure treatment may need to be optimised by : (1)carefully monitoring fluid intake and loss. If too much fluid is taken relative to what is being loss via urine, then this would cause excess fluid.

Fluid is sometimes restricted to 2 L a day

(2)may need the addition of a beta blocker medication if your doctor agrees this is an option for you. Beta blockers are commonly used for heart failure to improve symptoms and survival

Eg metoprolol, bisoprolol

(3)restrict salt to 2g-3 g a day

(4)other medications belonging the nitrate family of drugs or hydrallazine can also sometimes be added to the treatment regimen.
Medications in the nitrate family include isosorbide dinitrate or isosorbide mononitrate

(5)paracetamol may help ease your discomfort

Summary:(1)need to rule out liver or kidney disease
(2) fluid and salt restriction
(3)consider the addition of additional medications to your current medications to see if this helps
(4)paracetamol to help with pain

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions