What are the health risks for an Alzheimer patient living in high altitude?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello. My mother has stage 5 Alzheimer's disease. She currently lives in XXXXXXX AZ and has for 3 years. The 5 prior years she lived in XXXXXXX Oregon, and the 10 years prior to that the San Francisco bay area. She has in her mind she should move back to Brush, XXXXXXX where she was born. Die where she was born. None of us children live there and the closest is in XXXXXXX 90 minutes away. It is not practical for her to move but she is stuck there in her mind. I am concerned with her having lived at no more than 1000 ft above sea level for the past 20 years that moving to XXXXXXX would negatively impact her health. If true we could use this an argument to help shift her thinking away from the move. What is your thinking on the health risk?
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not enough of a high altitude to cause any problems.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

I am afraid that the altitude argument can not be used for the purpose you mention. From what I see the elevation at Brush XXXXXXX is 1289 m, which is not high enough to be associated with any physical health concerns.

As for your worry about her living without family support that is fully justified, at her age and with an Alzheimer's diagnosis it is important to have the support of the family. However the elevation is not a valid argument on that regard.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.