What are the future complications in a female with history of hyperthyroidsm treated with Radioiodine therapy?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Jul 2018 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: 56 yrs Female with history of Hyperthyroidsm ( thyrotoxicosis ) - Radioiodine therapy taken in 2014 now on Eltroxin 50 Mcg, Hypertension on Telma H , Varicose vein Both leg EVLS done 2015

Pls suggest what would be the future complications and chances of recurrence , what further test to be done and treatment
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About your concern:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.
First i would suggest to check TSH, FT4 and Ft3 once in 6 months, if it is within the normal ranges, continue with eltroxin 50 mcg.
If hypothyroidism is installed after Radioactive Iodine treatment, the chances of recurrence of hyperthyroidism are very low. Meanwhile, hypothyroidism is usually permanent and the dose of eltroxine should be monitored as described above.
If it has been Multinodular goiter you need to do a thyroid ulltrasound once a year, if it has been Graves disease you need to check also TSI antibodies once in 6 months.
Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana