What are the food to be avoided while on Acitrom?

Dr. Harish Naik

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Weight & Lifestyle
Question: what are the food restrictions while in acitrom 2 mg dosage
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not make drastic changes in diet, avoid alcohol.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Weighing to HCM

Acitrom contains Acenocoumarol, it works by partially blocking the reuse of vitamin K in your liver. Vitamin K is needed to make clotting factors that help the blood to clot and prevent bleeding.

Do not make drastic changes in your diet, such as eating large amounts of green, leafy vegetables. You may continue to eat these foods but do not make any drastic changes to your diet. Avoid drinking alcohol. Other than this nothing regarding food.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Harish Naik 20 minutes later
I am not satisfyed please explain, about vitemin K. And my homcysteine level are greater than 50.
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Large amount of Vitamin k containing food better be avoided

Detailed Answer:
Hi

As such there is not much interaction between acitom and food, so you can continue to have regular diet without any change.

So vitamin k is very essential for forming clots, the agent that you are taking is anticoagulant, it acts by blocking vitamin k.

Any nutrients that contain vitamin k, can lessen the drugs effectiveness.

While eating small amounts of foods that are rich in vitamin K shouldn't cause a problem, but avoid eating or drinking large amounts food that has vitamin k.

Hope you have got something useful.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj