What are the findings from the ultrasound of abdomen?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Question: Hi Doctor, my father had ultrasound of abdomen two days before. The findings are - kidney are normal in size, shape and position. Cortical ecogenecity of both the kidenys are slightly raised. However corticemedullary differentiation is maintained. No calculus or hydronephrosys seen. multiple simple cortical cysts noted in both kidneys. The largest cyst in right kidney measures 4.47 cm x 4.58 cm approx. The largest cyst in left kidney measures 5.06cmx5.44cm approx. Impression - renal echo seapures - as detailed above (serum , urea, creatinine , and urine analysis and renal doppler recommended) Could you please advice what can be the diagnosis and how harmful it is Thanks & regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Multiple renal cortical cysts; usually not harmful Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXsir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. The diagnosis would be 'Multiple Renal cortical cysts in both kidneys'. Renal cortical cysts usually develops with age, and symptoms become more prominent with age. They are usually well treated and remain benign if diagnosed early and treated effectively. Usually cortical cysts below the size of 3-3.5 cm require no treatment at all, and just need to be monitored. But your cysts are larger than this, and thus you will require treatment sir. Do not worry, in most cases these cysts do not tamper with quality of life if well treated, but it is protocol to rule out malignancy. Do not let this worry you though. I would not say they are XXXXXXX or harmful, but it appears as though your cysts were present from quite sometime which have resulted in an increase in blood pressure off late, and the appearance of other symptoms as well. This means that we will have to treat them, whether conservatively (lifestyle-changes, etc.) or surgically (drain and remove them). I would request you to consult a nephrologist (renal expert) for the same, as your doctor would assess your condition and the required treatment for your specific case. I hope you find my response helpful sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 7 hours later
Hello Doctor, Many Thanks for all your feedback and suggestion. I just got the report for Doppler study renal artery test. It has provided the below details - Right Kidney size 9.9 cm, left kidney size 9.4 cm, multi cyst kidney with size more than 4.8 cm in both side. The report suggest of features of bilateral chronic renal parenchymal disease. Please can you let me know, how harmful this is and what are possible medical cure. Thanks you, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: The provided interpretation is too general Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX. Bilateral (both sides; i.e. both kidneys) renal (kidney) parenchymal (there are two parts of a kidney; one contains the blood vessels and is called the vascular part; the remaining other portion is called the parenchymal part) disease. As explained above, this is a very general interpretation, and a renal parenchymal disease includes numerous causes and condition (eg. stones, cysts, etc). So based on this provided report, nothing can yet be assumed. This is a very general diagnosis sir. We need to find the exact cause, and in my opinion the diagnosis provided by me in my first response is still the most likely diagnosis; as 'Multiple bilateral renal cortical cysts' also fall under 'renal parenchymal diseases'. I hope this information helps you sir. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.