question-icon

What are the findings from the MRI report?

Posted on Thu, 30 Jan 2014
Question: My daughter had an MRI it showed a small focal tear to a ligament as well as bone edema and an unfused ossicle inferior to the talus. Is this serious and will it require surgery?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal (41 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Does not need surgical repair. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. A small focal tear in the ligament and mild bone edema usually does not require a surgical repair. The partial thickness tears of the ligaments do heal conservatively with adequate rest and immobilization. An unfused ossicle under the talus is a chance finding and is a physiological variation. It does not need any treatment. She needs to use an ankle brace for rest. Since there is no bone injury there is no need to worry. Taking mild pain killers after meals and doing a hot fomentation in the area will also be helpful. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon