What are the emergency cardio procedures to be done for stroke?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: This is just a general question about emergency procedures when a person is suffering from a stroke, aneurism and extreme blood pressure ranges (too high and too low) and perhaps other cardio emergencies that you may think of

I want to learn about this in the event I encounter someone whom I suspect is suffering from one of these conditions.

After calling for a paramedic what types of procedures should a person follow to help prevent longterm damage and or death

what kind of sitting or laying position would be most conductive for survival

are there any other things that I should be doing while waiting for emergency crew to arrive?

thanks
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answers to your queries!

Detailed Answer:

If you meet someone and you suspect is suffering of any heart problems, then, most probably, you might find him/her:
- laid down
- difficulty breathing

The very first thing is to put him/her at a safe place. Measure blood pressure (bp) to see if it is too high or too low.

In cases of stroke, should place the patient at the position "decubitus lateralis" (on the left or on the right) to prevent aspiration. The head should be raised. Make sure the airways are free, so the patient can breath.

In cases of hypotension, the legs should be raised higher than the head level to increase blood flow in the brain mechanically.

Should give coffee or energetic drink to increase bp.

Always make sure the airways are open, no obstruction.

In cases of hypertension, should give the patient the anti-hypertensive drugs. If he/she does not have any, then, give garlic with lemon.

In cases of shortness of breath, advise patient to stay at the "orthopnea" position (legs going down the bed/half sit).

Hope it answered to your queries! Can ask other query if anything unclear!
Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj