Owl Image

What are the effects of repeated use of MTP ?

Excellent
Question
my wife is taking MTP for the third time with span period of 18 months .please advise will it effect in future if she concivies in future to the child
Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
repeated mtp not advisible

Detailed Answer:
Repeated MTP is not advisable. There may be higher chance of ectopic pregnancy or difficulty to concieve in the future. I would suggest using a long term method of contraception like pills, or injections to avoid repeated terminations.

Repeated use of MTP pills can cause miscarriage later. Or recurrent loss of pregnancy. She may even find it difficult to get pregnant.

Follow-up: What are the effects of repeated use of MTP ? 8 minutes later
she is 5 weeks pregnant so how can she abort same and if she decided to keep the child will in any way the any will be effected

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
medical or surgical abortion

Detailed Answer:
You will need to have an ultrasound to confirm the pregnancy. If its less than 6 wks on the ultrasound medical abortion is possible. But the pills are prescription only and has to be given on a doctor;s prescription. There is a 25% chance of failure in medical termination. Other option is surgical termination. If the MTP pills already have been taken, that pregnancy cannot be continued. It has to be terminated since the fetus may be malformed.
However, if no pills have been taken, there should be no problem in continuing the pregnancy.