What are the effects of prolonged use of cell phones on vision?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Greetings. I was interested in knowing how a person's vision is affected by constant close use of cell phone reading and texting, even with prescription glasses, and also the effects on vision when someone regularly does close-up reading without wearing their prescription glasses, resulting in constant squinting, etc.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Digital eye strain will happen

Detailed Answer:

The prolonged close reading by using cellphones or computer is associated with Digital Eye Strain (DES). This is an eye discomfort felt one or two hours after being in front of a digital screen.

That will impair vision later in life.

To protect your eyes, there is a solution: computer glasses. They will adjust the brightness, reduce the blurred/blue vision, etc.

Hope it answered your question.
Dr.Albana

Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 18 hours later
Thank you. I was particularly interested in the effect of prolonged or repeated reading without one's own prescription glasses that would cause strain or squinting. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 days later
Brief Answer:
No other problem, just strain,and worsening of current problems

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

I am so sorry for this late reply.

Prescription glasses are given to correct vision and make you feel comfortable when reading or looking at objects.

Regular eye examinations are necessary.
If no more need for correction glasses, then no need to wear them.

If you do not put your prescription glasses on when reading, then your eyes will get fatigued only.

By aging, it is difficult to read near, that's why it's necessary to put prescription glasses.

If you do not wear them, then you'll put more strain to your eyes than they already have.
Other than getting strain, no other effect is known to happen to your eyes.

Hope it answered to your questions.
Dr.Albana