What are the effects of having low random blood sugar count?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: Hello Doctor,
What are the causes for less count of RBS ( Random Blood Sugar). Will there be any problems if the count is below 50 ???
Please let me know how it can be maintined in the blood by diet or medicines.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not be worried...

Detailed Answer:

Blood sugar value below 50mg/dl falls under hypoglycemia. However a low RBS without clinical symptoms is not relevant. So if this patient in discussion had no symptoms and RBS below 50, you don't need to be worried.

Further random blood sugar has limited clinical significance. Specific actions / treatment is planned on basis of fasting / post prandial blood sugar and glycosylated hemoglobin value.

I would like to know why this test was performed and if the patient had specific set of symptoms before blood sample was taken.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 3 minutes later
This test is carried out for my wife as she is pregnent.
Will it have any effects on the baby's growth??
How it can be brought in control ?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not be concerned..

Detailed Answer:

Blood sugar is screened during pregnancy to look for hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) as that is associated with fetal risks. As I said earlier a low random blood sugar number is not significant if the patient has no symptoms.

Since you did not report clinical symptoms before testing blood, I assume she was alright when the test was performed. In such circumstance you need not be worried about the numbers. It will not affect the baby's growth.

Hope I am clear. Let me know if you need clarifications.