What are the effects of Flouride dental treatment during pregnancy?

Dr. Soumya

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 3 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I am 6 weeks into an unplanned pregnancy. 2-3 weeks after conceiving, I unknowingly drank wine, was highly stressed, had a fluoride treatment at the dentist, and received a MMR booster vaccine. My doctor is concerned about potential risks. Online sources seem okay or inconclusive. I'd really appreciate another opinion... Thanks
Answered by Dr. Soumya 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns.

Let me reassure you that there will be no risk to baby.

Wine and flouride treatment are just fine. They wont harm. Even MMR vaccination will not harm. I dont see any reason to panic.

You can be relaxed and continue pregnancy.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Soumya 4 days later
Thanks for your reassurance. Can you please explain in as much detail as possible why the timing and content of these substances wouldn't have a negative effect on the development of the fetus?
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Soumya 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Duration of exposure is small

Detailed Answer:

Duration of exposure to these substances is very short.

Adverse can only be expected if you have had these substances everyday in high doses for a long time.

Hence I don't see any reason to worry. There will be no problem with occasional wine or fluoride treatment. They are very small doses to be worried about.

MMR vaccine is not active virus to affect womb. Hence no chance of affecting baby.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Soumya 9 hours later
Thanks, Dr XXXXXXX
I understand what you mean in terms of short duration, but can the virus remain in my system for a long time? I read the MMR is a 'live attenuated vaccine' and could possibly affect the fetus.
Also, would the timing of 2 weeks after conception (very early in first trimester) be of more or less concern to you and why?
Many thanks
Answered by Dr. Soumya 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Don't worry

Detailed Answer:
As per scientific evidences putblished and studies done, there is no evidence or case of woman taking MMR vaccine during early pregnancy and fetus being affected.

You can go through various sites on Internet like CDC guidelines which summarily state no risk to fetus. I don't see any reason to worry.

I believe none of factors you mentioned need to worry. Your fetus is unlikely to be affected.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar