What are the early signs of cerebral palsy?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
When my granddaughter was born (2 weeks early) her Dr. was going to be gone so they induced her. My granddaughter had a petit mal seizure. I had videotaped it. My daughter doesn't believe that she was having petit mal seizures then ( I don't tell her anymore now when she has them, she is 5 yrs. old. I also believe that she has Mild Cerebral palsy, falls alot. Hurt herself when she fell down her upstairs. Please tell me if I am looking at all of these symptoms incorrectly. Thanks XXXXXXX
Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Early intervention is essential

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. I really appreciate your suspicion and correlation regarding your granddaughter. I am quite certain that you are looking at all the symptoms correctly. Preterm babies are often vulnerable to various neurodevelopmental issues and such issues can often be associated with various degrees of cerebral palsy. I think that you need to urge your daughter to get her evaluated. Neurodevelopmental followup is quite essential but often missed out. Developmental delays can occur in terms of delayed milestones which could be gross motor, fine motor, language development, cognitive etc. and need to be dealt with in a proper manner. Early diagnosis and early intervention is the key to prevention of development of disabilities. A developmental evaluation is therefore needed and developmental therapies can be administered. Moreover, seizures can have a damaging effect on the brain and need to be dealt with by proper medication. Treatment is supportive and depends on the severity of symptoms. Various behavioral issues could also be present and modifications from the part of the caregivers (not the child) or behavioral adaptations for the child could be essential.

You could upload the video on any video upload site and share the link here and I could guide you further.

I hope that I could clear your doubts. Feel free to write back.