What are the differences between hepatitis A,B and C viruses?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Infections
Question: I was born in 1953 and saw if born between 1945 and 1965 should receive hep test. what is the difference in hep A, B and C
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
they're caused by different viruses

Detailed Answer:

there are vaccines for hepatitis A and hepatitis B viruses. There is no vaccine for hepatitis C. The difference between them is mostly that they're caused by different viruses. Hepatitis A differs more because it only causes acute disease. Hepatitis B and C may cause chronic diseases and acute diseases.

You can check for antibodies before you do the vaccines. Test for HAV IgG, antiHCV, HBsAg, AntiHBs and AntiHBc IgG/IgM. These tests will identify previous exposure to any of the aforementioned viruses.

I hope it helps!
Kind Regards!