What are the differences between SDZ-Quetiapine and PMS-Quetiapine?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN: SDZ-QUETIAPINE XR 150 MG AND PMS-QUETIAPINE 25 MG TAKING 5 TABS. AT ONE TIME (125 MG)?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
there is a difference

Detailed Answer:

XR drugs are released slowly and have a longer effect. Immediate release (IR) drugs are released immediately and thus reach their peak levels sooner but may be eliminated faster than XR drugs.
When changing from XR to IR quetiapine there are three different strategies:
- patients who have compliance problems (they don't take their drugs) need to take as few doses as possible. Unless it's given for psychosis (schizophrenia for example) it can be given once daily (at night).
- patients who experience sedation but are compliant may take a lower dose in the morning and higher dose in the evening. For example 25mg (morning) and 100mg (evening).
- patients who experienced no problems with current dosage may take the same dosage divided in two equal doses (morning-evening).

I hope this is clear enough. If you're left with questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards!