question-icon

What are the differences between ProAir, Symbicort and Ventolin inhalers?

Posted on Wed, 1 Feb 2017
Question: what is the differences between the following inhalers?

Proair
symbicort
Ventolin

and which should be taken and when is it necessary to use
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
See below!

Detailed Answer:

Proair: Salbutamol spray, used for immediate relief when you have respiratory difficulties.

Ventoline: Same molecule and used exactly like proair.

Symbicort: Last longer and used twice daily to as maintenance therapy. This is used even in the absence of symptoms as they prevent symptoms.

In all, Proair and Ventoline are used to stop symptoms immediately while Symbicort is used continuously to prevent onset of symptoms.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Chobufo Ditah