What are the differences between Klonopin, Xanax and Lorazapam?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Mon, 10 Sep 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is the difference between Klonopin, Xanax, and Lorazapam sorry about the spelling?Currently I take adderall 20mg, bid. I take it about 9am and about 5pm. I enjoy being active. Years ago the dr gave me 1mg of klonopin qhs, My dr didn't like the bedtime dose of the klonopin, But I have trouble relaxing.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Information.

Detailed Answer:

Xanax (which is alprazolam) and Ativan (which is lorazepam) are short-medium acting benzodiazepine medications.

Klonopin is a longer acting version of lorazepam.

All 3 are in the same family of medications. Valium is in that family too but tends to have more side effects.

The benzodiazepines work as sedatives, muscle relaxants, and sleep inducers.

But they are being discouraged because they are dependency forming, can change sleep architecture (the amount of time spent in deep stage of sleep).

And there are now studies that prolonged use is associated with increased risk of development of dementia.

If you are having trouble relaxing and it is related the Adderall, then you may need a lower dose of the Adderall (if it is necessary) in the evening.

If the difficulty relaxing is related to worry or stress.

Then newer way of treating this is to use an antidepressant such as an SSRI like Lexapro (escitalopram) and when it starts to work in a few weeks.

Then with less mental tension, a person can get better sleep.

A benzodiazepine can be used along with it in the first few weeks until it starts to work, because unlike an antidepressant, benzodiazepines work right away.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, General & Family Physician