What are the differences between Grierson-Gopalan syndrome and neuropathy?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 11 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been having burning feet every night for almost 3 years now. In the mornings my feet will sweat but feel frozen and painful, then alternate between hot and cold throughout the day. The pain is sometimes on going, to the point where I get sick of even walking on my feet. I will also have these pains and weakness in my hands, typing now i feel numbness and also in my finger tips.

I tried running at 2.5 mile run two weeks ago and could barely get going because my feet would burn with pain, what is wrong with me!!!Is saw a condition called Grierson-Gopalan syndrome, so I'm wondering what is the difference between that and Neuropathy? or are they the same.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Methylcobalamin supplements can help.

Detailed Answer:

The pain and burning sensation is suggestive of a neural ( nerve compression or nerve irritation related) cause.Even if everything is normal, still the nerve involvement symptoms may be there due to soft tissue swelling or due to inflammation in the nerve itself.

These neural pains are a challenging thing to treat as careful examination is needed to ascertain the level of nerve involvement. You can take some anti-inflammatory pain killer like acetaminophen till you consult your neurophysician.
Till then you can start with Methylcobalamin supplements and see if it helps.

Grierson-Gopalan syndrome is not a neuropathy. It can happen due to psychological causes also.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Praveen Tayal,
Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T