• question-icon

What are the differences and health benefits of Calcium Carbonate and Calcium Acetate?

Posted on Thu, 1 Oct 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I had a question to Dr. XXXXXXX and he advised me to take calcium tablets and methylcobalamine. I am not sure which calcium to take...In market ostocalcium of XXXXXXX calcium carbonate of Cipla and calcium acetate are available. Could you please advise. And for methylcobalamine I have purchased Methylcobol 500 mcg.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Methylcobalamin and calcium to be taken as per recomendations

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have taken note of your query and also gone through the discussion that you previously had with our doctor.

The dosage of methylcobalamin is usually 750-1500 mcg per day which can be taken as 2 or 3 divided doses of 500 mcg each.

Osteocalcium is an well known brand of XXXXXXX It contains calcium phosphate as well as cholecalciferol i.e vitamin D. The recommendation is that it should be taken twice daily.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 35 hours later
Thanks Doctor for your reply. I started taking the osteocalcium in the night and Methylcobalamin in the morning (1000 mcg). However I would like to know the differences and health benefits of Calcium, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Acetate and Osteocalcium.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Health benefits of calcium are multiple

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

The differences between these various preparations i.e calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate and calcium acetate are mainly in the minor differences in the bioavailability of calcium i.e the amount of calcium that is absorbed from gut.
Muscle ache and twitching, back ache individuals may be signs of calcium defciency.
Health benefits of calcium are mainly that it strenghths of bones and prevents osteoporosis. Other health benefits are that it maintains healthy teeth and gums, controls blood pressure, reduces risk of kidney stones and helps maintain optimal body weight.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 4 hours later
Thanks for your reply, Doctor. This clarifies my doubt.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for writing to us

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist