What are the dangers of prolonged use of cortisteroid eye drops?

Dr. Mihir Shah

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 18 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: What are the dangers of abuse of cortisteroid eye drops on the eye over a period of 1 month? iT IS SUSPECTED THAT i MAY BE SUFFERING FROM BLEPHARITIS IN BOTH EYES.
Answered by Dr. Mihir Shah 56 minutes later
Dear,

Prolonged use of steroid eye drops can cause a raise in your intraocular pressure and can ultimately cause glaucoma. So it is important to monitor your eye pressure when you are using steroid drops. There is also a possibility of developing cataract after prolonged use of steroid drops.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any furthur queries if you have any.

Best regards,
Dr.Mihir Shah