What are the dangers of bleeding during pregnancy?

Posted on Mon, 8 Dec 2014 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Question: I'm a 29yr pregnant female.10 weeks along. I have ibs and was starting testing for lupus a few years back but never finished. This morning I went to the bathroom(first time in 3 days) and there was an orange fluid on the toilet paper and looked to be some floating by the stool. Should I go to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is threatened abortion, visit your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for contacting health care magic.

Any form of bleeding in pregnancy is not healthy. It is termed as threatened abortion.
The best thing to do right now is to report to your obstetrician and undergo an ultrasound pelvis or a transvaginal ultrasound to check for viability of the fetus and specifically for the heart beat. It is to be done to look for any form of chorio-decidual hemorrhage or bleeding at the implantation site, which may threaten the pregnancy.

Secondly it would be wise to adopt to bed rest and to start on progestational support till 14 weeks of gestation if viability is confirmed. Bed rest should be adopted till bleeding / spotting is stopped for at least 2 days.

Please visit your gynecologist.
Hope I have answered your query.If you have any further questions,I will be happy to help.
you may contact me directly at:-
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sameer-kumar/68814
regards,
Dr.Samer Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Kumar 8 minutes later
So the orange in my stool is blood? Its a bright orange
Answered by Dr. Sameer Kumar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes most likely it is blood from uterus

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.

Yes , it is blood which is bright orange. There is no way that this discolored discharge would have come from anywhere but the uterus.
A per speculum examination with the gynecologist for checking any presence of clot at the cervical opening would confirm the diagnosis and also would be able to quantify the bleeding if at all it increases.
So best advise is to report to your gynecologist for a per speculum exam and an ultrasound.
regards.
Dr.Sameer Kumar
Dr. Sameer Kumar

OB and GYN Specialist