What are the dangers of a high eosinophil count?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 in Blood Disorders
Question: hi my girlfriend has an eosinophil count of over 800 she says the doctor did not say it was something serious but I think he did not want her to freak out and so he did not say anything . I know this is not normal . She has very frequent allergies and is very obese. she's 22 and over 85kgs.

I'm very very worried please let me know what care I should take regarding her diet and in general ? and what would the possible causes be. She went to a doctor when she was in her granny's house in a small town so I am not really sure about the doctor's expertise .Any insight on how to proceed further will be much appreciated . Thank you very much
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
levels go up in response to allergies

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is understandable and commendable to be concerned but the increase is not likely indicative of a serious condition.

Eosinophils are one type of white blood cell.

White blood cells are involved in the body's immune response to infection or inflammation from some source.

Eosinophils play a major role in allergies and the their levels are increased in persons who have a history of allergies.
With her history of allergies that you mentioned, this is the likely cause, they increase in response to allergies

If her allergies were under tight control , the level would decrease.

If she is aware of what she is allergic to then these items can be avoided if possible.
If she does not know, allergy testing may help. This can be in the form of blood tests or skin prick testing

Using antihistamines and nasal spray (if there is a sinus problem), may help to control the symptoms.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions