What are the dangerous side-effects of Effexor?
But I am frightened by all the side effects I recently read. But I had taken the Zoloft for 23 years, and we feel that it has lost it's effectiveness. I just need to know that some of the things I read are rare or they do not happen to everybody, especially what people are calling, brain zaps, and electric shocks. I hope you can ease my mind as I am scheduled to take my first dose in an hour. Thanks so much!
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
First of all I like to assure you that side effects are unwanted effects and they occur very rarely. In fact they are for our knowledge to ease our mind and do the needful at the need of hour rather than anything else.
Secondly the safety profile of zoloft and effexor is almost same. The available research data show little difference between safety of two medications.
Thirdly I must also inform you that brain zaps and electric shocks are very mild in majority of patients and cause little disturbance if any. In addition over a period of time they diminish in intensity for most individuals.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Food does not affect it.
Thanks for follow up.
Yes it is true that brain zaps, numbness and paraesthetic sensation are more common with withdrawal of effexor and similar medications.
Effexor can be taken with food although the food does not affect profile of side effects other than nausea.
I think your effexor is XR rather than HR. This stands for extended release where the medication is released slowly in body over a span of time.
Hope I have answered your query.
Dr. Ashok Kumar, Psychiatrist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Starting effexor side effects
- Is lethargy a side effect of effexor?
- Is stupor a side effect of effexor?
- Effexor drug side effects
- Effexor and sweating side effects
- Effexor side effects with alcohol
- Side effects of effexor
- Effexor 75 side effects
- Effexor side effects night sweats
- Side effects of effexor xr
- How to have a successful sexual intercourse?
- Suggest treatment for OCD
- Suggest the sleep aids that i can use with Carvedilol?
- What causes sensitivity to sun light?
- Is it safe to have 120ml of alcohol everyday?
- Suggest treatment for orgasmic dysfunction
- Suggest treatment for non retraction of foreskin
- Suggest treatment for premature ejaculation
- How long do psychotic disorders take to get cured?
- What causes erectile dysfuntion?