• question-icon

What are the consequences of untreated chlamydia infection?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Infections
Question: What happens if you leave chlamydia untreated?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can lead to complications:

Detailed Answer:
Hi again XXXXXXX

This is a good question, especially since you got sick after the one dose treatment. But it's important to get chlamydia treated so that you don't develop long term complications from it.

The initial damage that chlamydia causes often goes unnoticed. However, untreated chlamydia can cause big problems down the road.

If you don't treat it, it the infection can spread to other parts of your reproductive tract - uterus and fallopian tubes - and cause Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). In some women this doesn't cause any pain, in others it can lead to ongoing pelvic pain.

Even if there is no pain, PID can cause future difficulty getting pregnant, or can cause a pregnancy to be ectopic (not in the womb where it is supposed to be) and this can be dangerous for the mom, not just the baby.

It can also cause preterm births.

But chlamydia can be treated easily, and usually the 7 day course of antibiotic is tolerated pretty well.
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh