What are the consequences of BP medicine overdose?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: how low and for how long can blood pressure go before death?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to explain that low blood pressure could be considered a marker of a serious clinical condition and mortality when it is due to an important life-threatening condition, such as acute heart failure form several causes (acute myocardial infarction, cardiac arrhythmia, acute valvular dysfunction, pericardial disease, etc.); aortic dissection; hemorrhagic shock, etc.

In the above clinical situations, the lower the blood pressure, the worse is the prognosis.

There are no precise blood pressure values and time interval to predict mortality, because many other factors interfere with the outcome (age, concomitant morbidity, previous history of heart failure, previous renal dysfunction, the severity of the health issue that has brought low blood pressure, medical interventions for managing the health disorder, etc.).

Coming to this point, I would explain that an important health disorder that leads to extremely low blood pressure (systolic BP value less that 80 mmHg), when associated with severe pulmonary and renal blood flow impairment, may lead to death in a couple of hours.

Other clinical conditions, when there is no previous cardiac disorder and no comorbidities are present; for example dehydration or excessive anti-hypertensive drugs effect may be successfully managed without threatening life.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 16 hours later
What could be the consequences of a large overdose of blood pressure pills?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Opinion as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

If a larger than prescribed dose of anti-hypertensive drugs is mistakenly taken, then withdrawing the next doses of therapy, closely monitoring blood pressure and heart rate values would be necessary.

When blood pressure decrease is mild, then taking plenty of oral fluids and avoiding excessive physical activities is sufficient.

But, in case the overdose is quite large, then immediate medical assistance to the nearest ER service is necessary in order to avoid an important circulatory collapse with subsequent life-threatening complications (disturbances of cardiac rhythm, cerebral hypo-perfusion, fainting and even cardiac arrest).

Dr. Iliri