Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

What are the common urinary problems in elderly?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9688 Questions
I am a 78 year old male with frequent urinary problem. This seems to get better for days or weeks and then returns. I drink some coffee but no alcohol.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Elderly Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Frequency for urination at this age is mostly due to Enlarged Prostate,

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for query .

Frequency for urination at the age of 78 years is mostly due to either Enlarged Prostate which is common at this age or due to uncontrolled diabetes and needs to be investigated .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) Blood sugar estimation .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

In the mean time start taking antibiotic like Cefotaxime and Nitrofurantoin twice daily along with Tomsulosin once daily .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Geriatics

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor