What are the common urinary problems in elderly?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Elderly Problems
Question: I am a 78 year old male with frequent urinary problem. This seems to get better for days or weeks and then returns. I drink some coffee but no alcohol.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Frequency for urination at this age is mostly due to Enlarged Prostate,

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

Frequency for urination at the age of 78 years is mostly due to either Enlarged Prostate which is common at this age or due to uncontrolled diabetes and needs to be investigated .

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Serum PSA.
4) Blood sugar estimation .

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

In the mean time start taking antibiotic like Cefotaxime and Nitrofurantoin twice daily along with Tomsulosin once daily .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.