question-icon

What are the common sypmtoms of HIV in a man

Posted on Sat, 16 Mar 2019
Question: What are the common sypmtoms of HIV in a man of my age? when should i get it checked? also i am having pain in abdomen from last 1-2 months...is it somehow syptom of HIV?
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
You had not mentioned your age in the question.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor'.

The common symtoms of HIV are fever, diarrhea, cough for more than one month, unexplained body weight loss more than 10% of actual in one month. These symtoms are common for all the age group and you can go for HIV test any time but if history of any risky exposure is there then better to go for test atleast after 15 days of exposure for getting reliable result.

The pain in abdomen since 1-2 months may be due to some surgical cause like pancreatitis, cholecystitis or any other so consult any surgeon, get done ultrasound and other necessary tests as suggested by doctor to isolate the cause and follow the treatment regime. If any other query related to HIV is there feel free to ask me again.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist