• question-icon

What are the common abbreviations used in an LFT?

Posted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I wanted to know what designation refers to the liver enzyme count on the CBC and the Comp Metabolic Panel. I have my record from a year ago and would like to find out what my current numbers are and compare. My concern is that recent stress in the past year has lead to increased drinking on my part, sometimes heavily. My GP has retired and I am wondering if there is any way I can get a blood test without a physician's order. I take a benzodiazepine (clonazepam 1/2 mg 3xday) and gabapentin (600mg 4xday) - both for generalized and social anxiety. I have had problems with irritable bowel disease, sometimes serious (diarrhea) related to stress. I do not want to stop taking either of my medications as they are helpful (I have taken a benzodiazepine for nearly 30 years - anti-depressants etc. have not worked and I've tried them all) Gabapentin also helps; I will be searching for a new doctor, but I don't want my medications stopped if my liver enzymes are a problem. I have never had pancreatitis or anything else indicative of alcohol related disease. Is there a way to determine my liver enzyme count without alarming a new physician who doesn't know me?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 40 hours later
Brief Answer:
I need further details.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
Please mention, your previous and new Liver function tests. i need to see them to comment better.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 hours later
I don't know what my previous liver enzyme count is because I do not know what the abbreviation for the test is... I don't know what my current count is because I have not had a current blood test and i am reluctant to ask a physician to request it due to my current prescriptions. Did you accurately read my initial query???? I do not mean to be difficult, but the reason I am using this site is so I can discuss my situation with a physician without having my local health records compromised. WHAT IS THE ABBREVIATION FOR THE LIVER ENZYME COUNT? There are so many abbreviations on the CBC and Comp Metabolic Panel, I do not know what stands for what....and please refer to my initial question: what signifies an abnormal count??
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Many terms.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, The common abbreviations used for Liver function tests are following:
1. LFT
2. SGOT/SGPT
3. ALT/AST
4. Liver enzymes.
If you are taking about the reference range please ask me.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Follow up: Dr. Anshul Varshney 18 hours later
My SGOT of a year ago was 15 (5-34 IU/L) and my SGPT was 8 (0-55 IU/L). I would appreciate an explanation of these scores (are these scores good or bad?). ALSO, IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN GET A BLOOD TEST FOR LIVER FUNCTION WITHOUT A PHYSICIANS ORDER? As I mentioned previously, is there any way I can learn my CURRENT liver enzyme count without alarming a new physician who does not know me and may feel compelled to stop the medications I currently take (clonazepam 1/2 mg 3xday - I have been taking benzodiapines for almost 30 years - and gabapentin 600mg 4 times a day - both for social and generalized anxiety) Recent family problems during the past year have lead to increased drinking of alcohol, sometimes heavily, on my part, and I am concerned about the effect on my liver.
Please note that I am trying to limit my drinking, but have not stopped completely.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need Ultrasound.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Friend,
Your liver enzymes mentioned are well within normal range and don't require any attention.
However I would recommend you an Ultrasound Abdomen to check for fatty liver that could be there.
As far as ordering liver function tests is concerned, this varies from country to country. If there are private labs you may ask them for the test.
However to cover the test in insurance you need to get a prescription from your Doctor.
I hope it helps you.
Dr. Anshul Varshney