What are the chances of pregnancy without ejaculation?

Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hi doctor.
I am really anxoius since yesterday night. My fiance ejaculated outside vagina and cleaned his penis immediately after that, after an hour or so he penetrated just the tip of his penis for not more than 4 seconds and took it out (without ejaculating). I am 25 and i am a virgin. Yesterday was the second day after my periods completely got over. I believe that i am still a virgin as the himen didnt break. please suggest if i should take any pill in order to be safe..will there be any chance of me getting pregnant. Please respond as soon as possible. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possible chance of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Based on the history you have given, there is a small chance that you can get pregnant. Usually, pregnancy occurs with penetration and ejaculation deep inside the pregnancy.

There is a small chance however that some ejaculate and pre-ejaculate will enter the body. The small amount of sperm can travel up the vagina and uterus and fertilise the egg.

When you get to the date of your period, please take a pregnancy test. If the test is positive, then please see a doctor. If negative, please retake the test after 1 week.

If the second test is positive, please see a doctor again.

I hope I have answered your question. Please follow up if you have further questions. All the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 31 minutes later
Dear doctor
Thank you for quick response.
Keeping in mind that it was my third day after my periods got over and i am a virgin and no ejaculation was done inside, i didnt take any pill till now.
I am scared of taking such pills due to the fear of side effects. Almost 24 hours have passed after this act. Please suggest if i should take any medicine or shall i keep calm and wait for my periods( also note that i have irregular periods since the time i started getting periods, periods are often delayed by 8 to 9 days.) Please suggest when should i do the pregnancy test then? Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Vignan Rachabattuni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sperm present on penis head can cause pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,

I can understand how anxious you are.

Sperm present on the head of the penis can cause pregnancy and is sufficient. There will be some sperm left after ejaculating.

Firstly, you can take a post-coital pill within 72 hours of intercourse to help you. Please see a doctor to get a prescription for this. This will reduce the chance of pregnancy significantly.

If your periods are irregular, then I would recommend you take a pregnancy test after 5 days and repeat them every 5 days or till you get a period.

If you get a period then you are fine. I would also recommend you see a doctor later on about the irregular periods.

In the future, use condoms and oral contraceptive pills to avoid pregnancy.

I hope this has answered your query.