What are the chances of pregnancy upon taking Marvelon after unprotected sex?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Birth Control
Question: Hi. My friend has had an intercourse during her fertile days. Her boyfriend withdrew and she took marvelon 4 pills 4 hours after then another 4 after 12 hours. How likely is it that she can get pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
She may not get pregnant.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for trusting us about her health care.
I can understand your concern here.
The chances of pregnancy have always been there with unprotected sex.
In her case as she had birth control pills (marvelon)immediately after sex , it may prevent pregnancy.
So the chances are less.
Hope it is useful, feel free to ask more questions.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Hi again,

Thank you so much for you reply.

So the doses are okay? Just two doses and that's it? We werent sure cos we just googled it. Levonorgestrel is not available.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, doses are appropriate.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

You are most welcome.
Yes, doses are appropriate for emergency contraception.
As marvelon is combined oral contraceptive pill and usually use as a regular method of contraception to prevent pregnancy but yes, you can use it as an emergency contraceptive if no other means are available.
Dose and timing are proper in her case and it will give 96% protection from pregnancy.
Hope it
is clear.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 6 hours later
Hi again,

Since I still have one more free question to ask. So even if the female is fertile and took marvelon as a morning after pill, the percentage of protection is still high?

Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes, protection is almost 95-96%.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Yes, during fertile period also protection is high means it is almost 96% if taken with in 24 hrs.
Hope it is of some use.
If you want to close the discussion kindly accept my answer( if found useful) before closing it.
Thanks.

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN