What are the chances of pregnancy post unprotected sex?

Dr. Sree Gouri SR

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Birth Control
Question: Hello Doc,

Her period is due on 5 days later. We have unprotected sex today. What is the probability of getting pregnant. Should she take i-pill tomorrow morning to avoid being pregnant. She never had any contraceptive pill before. Kindly help.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Regular or irregular menstrual cycles

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern.
In case of regular 28 to 30 days menstrual cycles usually ovulation occurs around 12th to 16th day.
So, if she is having regular 28 to 30 days menstrual cycles, the possibility of ovulation is less 5 days before expected date of periods and the possibility of pregnancy is also less.
If her menstrual cycles are irregular, the period of ovulation is difficult to predict.
In that case, the possibility of pregnancy cannot be ruled out and better to go for emergency contraceptive pill within 72 hours of intercourse.
There should be at least 2 months gap between two emergency pills and repeated intake of emergency pills is not advisable.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later
Hi ma'am,

She is having irregular menstrual cycle since last 2/3 months. Hence better to take emergency contraceptive pill. Could you pls advice if i-pill is good to take and what time to take this pill? ( morning empty stomach or any time in a day). Also kindly confirm if menstruation would start once this pill is being taken.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
As early as possible

Detailed Answer:
She can take emergency pill at anytime within 72 hours of the intercourse as early as possible.
If pill is taken early, the contraceptive efficacy will be more, with passage of time the efficacy will decrease.
After taking the pill, she can get the withdrawal bleeding in around one week.
She may experience some irregularity in menstrual cycles for few months after taking emergency pill.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina