What are the chances of pregnancy after using emergency contraceptives?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Birth Control
Question: Dear sir,

My wife and i had unprotected sex at 4th august around 1:00 pm, while she took M-pill before on 3 th august 4:00 pm in evening coz we had unprotected sex before that also, however i ejacuated outside her the first time, to what i can tell and the second time i was wearing protection but after, say like 5 minutes of doing it. Still i want to make it sure. Can you please tell us to if it is safe, coz we are not planning for a baby right now.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Additional information required

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Mr XXXXXXX

Emergency contraceptive pills are quite effective in preventing pregnancy though not cent percent.

Whether the period was safe or no depends on which phase of menstrual cycle your wife is. It would be helpful if you could get back to me with her expected date of cycle and when did she have her past cycle . Are her cycles regular and of how many days.

Awaiting your response

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 16 minutes later
Dear sir,

Previously the phase happened for her starting 17th july. It is now expected to occur near 15th august. They are normal for her and continues usually for maximum 6 days. And also previously they did got delay 2-3 days. I also want to ask if the particular M-pill works before the intercourse as well. If yes, then till how many days it is in work and can prevent the ovulation? And from where i sit, i do know that i did not ejacuated inside her, however i am afraid of the small quanitites that MIGHT have gone inside her before the final climax of me. Please clarifiy my doubts for above.

Awaiting your best reply.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances of pregnancy are less

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Greetings

From the description given following are the inference
1. You had sex on 18th of her cycle . It is considered as unsafe period
2. As you are not aware whether the Semen did enter her vagina. The chances are high that it did enter
3. Emergency contraceptive pill was taken within 72 hours of unprotected sex:It is quite effective in preventing pregnancy

Even though you had sex in the unsafe period , emergency contraceptive pill was taken within 72 hours which is quite acceptable to prevent pregnancy. This pill is effective only after unprotected sex. It is not effective if taken before.

I would suggest you to start on oral contraceptive pills from the next cycle , this will be a good family planning option.

Wishing you great health

Best regards
Dr Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 28 minutes later
Dear sir,

Thank you for your reply and time.

I am only doubtful for the last intercourse that happened after taking the pill, though it was done with the protection which was put on after 2 min of intercourse started. I would like to ask this from you. As, it is still not 72 hours after we had our last intercourse (4th august) which was after taking the M-pill (3rd august). Do you suggest to take the M-pill again? If, it doesn't have any side effects. And i am pretty sure that it was not ejacuated inside her. A very very small negligible trace(drop), is what i am not sure of. Will that make any difference? I mean to ask, isn't there any required quantity to develop a a baby?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
One more dose of emergency contraceptive pill

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Mr XXXXXXX
One drop of Semen has million of sperms and it just takes one sperm to fertilise the ovum.
It is advisable to take one more dose of emergency contraceptive pill, will do bo harm and is safe.

Best regards
Dr Deepak