What are the chances of pregnancy after taking Postinor 2 post intercourse?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 29 Aug 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi I'm a breastfeeding mother my baby is two months old I met my husband a week ago and I took postinor 2 three days after but I have a strong feeling that it didn't work so I consulted my doctor and he gave 28 days pill I started immediately but I still feel funny please what can I do to avoid getting pregnant now as my baby is barely two months old, too small for another pregnancy and also does the 28 days pills have any effect on my breastfeeding baby? Kindly help I'm so worried
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
the Postinor you took will protect you against pregnancy to large extent.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

Are you exclusively breast feeding your baby? If so then chances of pregnancy are extremely slim. Don't worry.

In case you are not exclusively breastfeeding your baby, the Postinor you took will protect you against pregnancy to large extent. It would have been more effective if you had taken it within 24 hours of sex. The pills your doctor prescribed are not going to stop the pregnancy if it has already occurred.

They can only now prevent pregnancy from occurring in future. If the pills contain both estrogen and progesterone, then it is not ideal for you since you are breast feeding.

Get a pregnancy test done after two weeks. If negative discuss with your
doctor and take progesterone only contraceptive pills or get intrauterine contraceptive devise inserted.
I hope this helps.
If you have further concerns, I will be happy to answer.
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 6 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response to my question. The problem is I feel heavy in my lower abdomen I don't know if this is psychological and I'm yet to see my period. My last period was 15 july
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is just your feeling

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
So July 15 was the first day of your last period. If you have had sex on or before 22 July there is no chance for pregnancy. Don't worry at all.

The heaviness that you are experiencing is your feeling only. It is definitely not due to pregnancy. Even if there is Pregnancy it does not show up so early.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama.
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 2 hours later
So I have to quit d pills cos the breast flow has reduced drastically my baby is not having enough breastmilk and he lost weight a little. I hope the one I took will not make him sick? I took 8 pills already
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The pills you took are not going to make your baby sick.

Detailed Answer:
Please do not use combined estrogen and progesterone contraceptive pills because it affects the quality and quantity of breast milk. So stop taking those pills.
As mentioned above, you can use progesterone only contraceptive pills.

The pills you took are not going to make your baby sick. Don't worry.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 14 hours later
My baby has not poo for the past two days now but he has been farting and playing normal I hope he is alright or could that be effect of pills?

What can I do about that please?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your baby is perfectly alright. Don't worry.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

I do not think his constipation is because of the pills you used.

Breast feed him normally today. If he does not pass motions today, see Pediatrician tomorrow for advise.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 37 hours later
If a woman is pregnant and still breastfeeding her baby will it have any effect on the baby?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Breastfeeding does not affect your pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

If you are keeping good health and taking good nourishment, you can definitely Breast feed your baby. It will not have any effect on your pregnancy.

Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Will it have any effect on the breastfeeding child?
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
It will not have any adverse effect on breast fed baby.

If you have further queries, do write to me.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 5 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX I've found your answers helpful and I've seen my monthly flow so you are right that I'm not pregnant. Now I need advice on which contraceptive to use that is effective, and will not affect my breastfeeding baby and also my partner doest not dictate.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Progesterone only pills or intrauterine devise.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thanks for trusting Healthcare Magic.

Since you are breast feeding you can use progesterone only contraceptive pills like Femolen, Micronor, cerazette etc. These tablets need to be taken daily at the same time, which you may find it difficult because you also need to care for your small baby.
You can have Intrauterine contraceptive devise ( hormonal or copper) fitted. They are very effective and once inserted you can be relaxed.
Discuss with your doctor too.

I hope this helps. if you have further concerns, do write to me.