What are the chances of pregnancy after having microgynon?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I took half dose of microgynon as a replacement for the day after pill since is the only option available in my country, i was supposed to take 4 and then 4 after12 hours.took half because of the side effects (vomiting and nausea). Can it be still effective ? What are the chances lf pregnancy?
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NOT EFFECTIVE

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Firstly, microgynon is not approved as morning after pill.
Its efficacy in this scenario is not at all studied.
However, it is better than nothing.
Taking half the dose further reduces its efficacy.
I do not believe that it would be effective.
The chances of pregnancy depend on what phase of the menstrual cycle you are on.
When was your last menstrual period, and what is the normal cycle length and duration ?
It is much better to use it as a regular contraceptive instead of taking it indiscriminately like this.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy after having microgynon? 10 minutes later
Thanks for your reply my last menstrual period started on july 5 and ended on july 11 , my period last 7 days and had intercourse on july 19

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
AROUND OVULATION, RISK INCREASES.

Detailed Answer:
Well, you had unprotected sex on day 14 of the cycle, around ovulation, which further increases the risk.
Please try and find a morning after pill if you can, if it is not too late yet.