What are the chances of pregnancy after an abortion?

Question
can you get pregnant right after a abortion?
Posted Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Very unlikely.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

Getting pregnant immediately after an abortion is very unlikely. Rare cases of pregnancy after three weeks have been reported.

Generally, the cycle becomes normal after at least four weeks after an abortion., The hormonal levels at this point are sufficiently balanced and in the right amounts to support the evolution of a pregnancy. Immediately after an abortion, less than two weeks is very very unlikely.

It is important to question the type of abortion that was done, and to be sure that the abortion act was actually efficient. Some cases of bleeding might njot lead to the expulsion of the fetus. However, this is rare today but deserving consideration.

Immediately after an abortion, this is unlikely. Thanks and kind regards,

Dr Bain

Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy after an abortion? 6 minutes later
I had a abortion 3 weeks ago I have unprotected sex and I have a positive pregnancy test the doctor said that woman are very fertile after abortion pregnancy and miscarriage. So how do I know if I'm pregnant again

Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Serial beta HCG measurements, Transvaginal ultraso

Detailed Answer:
Hi ,

I am afraid it is still very possible to have raised Beta HCG levels after a pregnancy, which is what is detected when pregnancy tests are done.

It is important to get serial dosages of beta HCG in blood. If they are increasing, this would indicate a pregnancy, if they are decreasing, this would imply there is not pregnancy. Doing a transvaginal ultrasound at some point could helpful too.

However, it is very unlikely that this should be a new pregnancy. The test should be positive because of remaining Beta HCG levels raised due to previous pregnancy.

It could happen you are pregnant, but is really very unlikely and rare in this case.

Kind regards,

Dr Bain