What are the chances of passing a 6 mm stone naturally from the kidneys?

Posted on Wed, 10 Jun 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: i did an ESWL last monday for a 6.1 mm stone on the upper calyx of right kidney.. i did a USG today and found a 4mm stone in the VUJ of the ureter on the right side... what are the chances of passing it normally?

i already passed a 4mm stone of my left kidney normally.. even that was stuck in vuj for a week.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will pass down spontaneously.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Normally stone of a size of less than 8 mm are expected to pass down spontaneously.

Do not worry the fragment of the stone of a size of 4 mm impacted at UVJ will pass spontaneously within a week.

You may take Tomsulosin once daily to pass it down with ease .

Ensure to drink more water .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Follow up: Dr. P. T. Patil 29 minutes later
hi doctor,
the stone mentioned in usg is impacted at VUJ ( Vesicoureteric junction ) and not UVJ. Is VUJ and UVJ same ?

This stone fragment of 4 mm is a result of ESWL I had last monday...will i need to consider the option of laser lithotripsy via uteroscopy ??

please suggest...
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
UVJ and VUJ is same

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
I can assure you that this stone of size of 4 mm will pass down spontaneously.

What you need is more patience and to allay your anxiety.

Ureteroscopy is needed only when there is severe pain ,vomiting and fever suggestive of infection.,

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.
Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist