What are the chances of getting pregnant at the age of 42?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: hi , im 42 nearly 43 female with partner , what are the chances if any of getting pregnant, we have been trying with no luck , also would there be complications at my age , thanks
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Decrease chances with the age

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query

I understand your concern and I will try to help you.

As you may now chances to conceive decrease with increasing age.
In your age you should try to conceive with regular intercourse during six months, than you should contact with a gynecologist.
Menstrual cycle is regular and have you ever track if you ovulate or not?
This is important,as semen of your husband.

Second thing is, yes with increasing age,almost after 35,chances to have fetal chromosomal anomalies increase.
Hence to decrease these chances take folic acid 5 mg per day, three months prior to any pregnancy.

Hope to be helpful and do not hesitate to do any other question.

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine