What are the chances of getting pregnant after taking postinor 2 ?

Dr. Arif N Khan

OBGYN

Posted on Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I had unprotected sex and the person has ejaculated in me. I took Postinor 2 - the first tablet after 15 hours of intercourse. The second tablet was taken only 18 hours after the first tablet. Will it still be treated as the correct way, or is my chance of getting pregnant higher as I haven't the second tablet after 12 hours of the first one as they suggest? Please advise. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: Effective contraception if taken within 72 hours. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX Ideally the second drug should be taken within 12 hours after the first dose. Each dose of postinor contains 0.75mg of active ingredient, as combination will be 1.5mg and it will be still effective if taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. Considering this as you have taken the drug within 72hours I believe the drug will be effective and you don't have to worry about pregnancy presently. The chances of pregnancy in your case will be <5%, that means it is 95% effective emergency contraception. So I personally feel you don't have to worry , kindly do not take any stress, as stress can also alter your periods and give false impression of pregnancy. Please ask if you have more questions. If you are satisfied, please make sure that your ACCEPT my answer so that I receive credit. Good luck!!