What are the chances of getting cancer by blood route?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi! I got a needlestick tonight while accessing a port on a patient with colon cancer. She had her last chemo treatment July 18th. Is it possible for me to get cancer and/or have problems from the chemo she is taking?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely to get any problem

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

There is no chance of you getting cancer as colon cancer doesn't spread by blood route from person to person indeed it won't spread from person to person by any means.

Just wash the area thoroughly with antiseptic agent. I hope you had done that already.

By needle stick injury only possibility is spread of infectious disease like hepatitis and Hiv etc if she have.

There is no chance that you suffer from any effect of chemotherapy. Her last chemo was done by july 18th so now at port site no amount of drug will be left. It would be absorbed by now.

If some amount is left by chance and it enters in your blood then also you won't have any problems as it would be very less to cause bad effects.

So no need to worry.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help..

Dr.Deepika Patil