What are the chances of detecting blunt fingers of fetus in an ultrasound?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi,
My daughter was born with ABS effecting three fingers and a toe. This was missed in all ultrasounds throughout the pregnancy.
Also missed in an ultrasound that was specifically requested as I was suffering sharp pulling pains and was querying possible placenta issues.
It was found at birth my daughter was missing two fingers and a band attached around a third finger a toe.
This has prompted me to overlook my ultrasound photos and there are clear pictures from 12 weeks through to 20 weeks gestation showing bands attached to her hand and foot.
Is this a case of medical malpractice?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is very difficult to identify ABS by 2D USG.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Sorry to know about the condition of your baby.
I don't think it is a case of medical malpractice.I am not saying this due to the fact that i am also a radiologist and i am justifying other sonologist.

ABS is really a challenging task to identify by 2-D USG.These bands are very thin and it is very difficult to identify unless it involves major parts like limbs etc.
Usually it is diagnosed indirectly like swelling of limbs etc.There are also chances of misdiagnosis.
Diagnosis is very challenging in 2-D scanning.

If there was chance of some major abnormality then MRI could had been done.3D-4 D ultrasound scanning are also helpful.

Every radiologist try their best to identify the problem and report it ,but some times it is not possible due to nature of disease and limitation of machines.

Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX