What are the chances of contracting oral HPV after oral intercourse?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: What is the likelihood of contracting oral HPV from one single act of giving felacio? It was one time, only a few minutes, no ejaculation in mouth, and never repeated. I have read that the likelihood is possible but not very likely from one such exposure. I've been told not to worry about it as genital to oral HPV is rare to begin with and the likelihood of becoming infected through a single exposure as such is very low. Is this correct? Do you agree?

I have also read that oral HPV, if someone would have it, usually is asymptomatic,, usually clears by itself and rarely ever is spread to others by kissing or performing cunnilingus/oral. Would you agree this? Does this sound accurate?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of HPV transmission is almost nil.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query .I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
Welcome back to health care magic. I have gone through the details.

HPV can be transmitted by vaginal or anal or oral sex. It is a very common sexually transmitted infection.It can be transmitted by oral sex.The possibility is less with oral sex.It is said it is around 1%.The chances of transmission increases with number of partners ,duration of contact etc.With the given description, and single exposure the possibility is even further reduced.
But important thing is usually HPV is a simple infection, and it is cleared by immune system by 2 years.
Moreover you have not developed any symptoms. Your partner has been tested negative two years back.
The chances of oral infection is rare and you do not have any oral symptoms .
The transmission rate from cunnilingus is also possible but very rare.
Moreover all strains of HPV do not cause cancer.The commoner ones are benign strains . Moreover it has come negative in your partner.
I do not see any need for you to worry regarding HPV.

You can get back for any clarification.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Dermatologist and venerologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 5 minutes later
Thank you very much. This one oral encounter was during this past year.

Does that at all change your opinion that the odds of infection are low and around 1%?

Thank you, and this is likely my final question on the matter.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

Yes the odds with oral sex is low and is around or less than 1%.
Anyway I hope you will be safe from now on at least.
You can get back for clarifcation.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 41 minutes later
Thank you doctor. I will do my best to move forward with a normal sex life and try to forget my worries. I have learned a lot from this and will never repeat this mistake. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wish you good health.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you wishes.
Wish you good and safe health.
You can get back for any clarification else please close the discussion and rate.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 9 hours later
Thanks. I'm just paranoid and have depression. I will close this thread and rate, but before I do, given the information about this single exposure that lasted only a few minutes and was never repeated, could you confirm one last time for my anxiety sake and the sake of my loved ones that the odds of contracting HPV from this is about nil and I should not worry about this one incident? Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Ho
Thank you for follow up query.

You can get involved in activities of your interest (hobbies) to relieve your anxiety.
The possibility of HPV risk is almost nil.You can forget about the episode and lead a safe and normal life.
You can get back for any clarification

Thank you
Dr Bharatesh D Basti
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist