What are the chances of contracting Amoeba infection by opening geodes?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: I had a question about the free living ameoba balamuthia mandrillaris that can cause encephalitis.
Last week my step son, son and I broke open about 20 geodes that we had ordered online. There was a lot of dust and i'm sure we breathed some in. Today i read an article about balamuthia mandrillaris and was reading that its found in soil and dust and can cause infection when its inhaled. Does breaking open geodes put us at risk for possiblr exposure to balamuthia mandrillaris?
Thanks!
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Very Very Unlikely!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this concern about a possible amoeba exposure and all the inconveniences that this has caused you. I have reviewed this information fully and the chances of getting amoeba from opening geodes is very minimal. This is not a natural habitat for the germ though there was dust in it. I have never heard of possible contracting this infection by doing so. Also, only a tiny fraction of persons who come into contact with this germ actually go on to develop and infection. For now, be calm and relaxed knowing that this is very unlikely. However, be observant and report any new symptoms within the next 1-2weeks for evaluation and advise.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.