Owl Image

What are the chances of conception in a thyroid patient?

Owl Image
Dr. Kathy Robinson

Question
Hii just wanted to knw that kii iss there any complications for thyroid patients in pregnancy... Iss it difficult to concieve for thyroid patients... Plzz suggest
Wed, 30 May 2018 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
depends upon the type of thyroid condition

Detailed Answer:
It really depends upon the type of thyroid condition that you have. If you have low thyroid then replacement is easy and can be evaluated with blood tests to make sure you stay in normal range.
If you have hyperthyroidism then that may end up causing some problems due to fast heart rate. The medications for this are not safe in pregnancy.
Tell me what sort of thyroid condition you are talking about specifically and I can give you more information.
Dr Robinson

Brief Answer:
should cause no problem

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up. Hypothyroidism should not cause a problem with pregnancy or getting pregnant. Your obstetrician or regular doctor can make sure the dose of thyroid hormone is appropriate to keep you in the normal range. As long as your thyroid hormone remains in normal range there should be no problem with pregnancy.
Dr. Robinson

Follow-up: What are the chances of conception in a thyroid patient? 9 minutes later
I have hypothyroidism recent i went through D and C on 26th dec 2017,i was 6 weeks pregnant during pregnancy i was taking thyronorm 88 mcg and before pregnancy i was taking 75 mcg