What are the chances of conception after menopause?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Mon, 27 Jul 2015 in Infertility Problem
Question: Hello Doctor,

Greetings!!

I have one query to you..

My mother in law is 53 year old and she just lost her only 26 year old beloved son to brain haemorrhage. She just had her menopause a year back.

She wants to conceive again and wants to check what options she has now. My questions is
1) Can she conceive now after having menopause? My father in law is 55 years old and is fit.

Please let me know our options

Kind Regards

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She can conceive

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

I am sorry to hear death of her son.

Following is my reply:

1. She can try to conceive again with donor eggs. Means she wont have any eggs as she is menopausal. She needs to borrow eggs from others.

2. There are health risks during pregnancy at this age like hypertension , diabetes etc..

3. She needs to have thorough counselling session with a fertility specialist before going ahead with the pregnancy.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol.
IVF & Infertility Specialist
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 10 hours later
Thanks doctor for your response.

My follow up questions are
1) Are there any remote chances through new advanced technologies with which she can have her own eggs?
2) If the answer of the above is no, then how do typically people find eggs? Then she will not be the actual mother? Isn't it?
3) She is very keen to have a baby boy (owing to the fact that she lost her only son). Are there any medical technics by which she can have have her wish fulfilled?

Look forward to hear from you.

Kind Regards
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not possible to use her own eggs

Detailed Answer:

1) There are no chances of doinfg IVF with her eggs with any newer advanced technology as her egg reserve would beexhausted.

2) There are voluntary egg donors who donate eggs with which pregnancy can be attempted. SHe will not be genetic mother. Baby wont carry her genes but her husband's genes will be there.

3) It is not possible to have sex selection as to boy or girl in XXXXXXX It is illegal and no facilities are available to do it. It is not done anywhere.

Let me know if you need anymore help.