What are the chances of a solid pancreatic mass being cancerous?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 14 Sep 2016 in Cancer
Question: My aunt A76 just had an ultrasound done. It showed a heterogeneous 3x4.5x5.5 cn mass in the head of the pancreas. The spleen is homogeneous in echogenicity. It is not enlarged. Kidneys are goo. no aortic aneurysm and the inferior vena cava appears normal. No gallstones nor thickened walls. Common bile duct is not dilated. It measures 0.3 cm in diameter. LIver is not enlarged. The echogenicity is coarsened and increased. No focal liver lesion identified. She did have a CT completed on 8/22 but no results yet. What are the chances of this mass being cancerous???
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
High suspicion of cancer

Detailed Answer:
Hi

A solid mass in pancreas in a 76 year old is considered cancerous unless proved otherwise.

The CT will definitely throw more light on it. If CT also suggests malignancy and there is no spread elsewhere, then surgery needs to be considered.

Hope this helps. I will be available for further follow up.