What are the chances of STDs through oral sex?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: good evening sir....i have had a protected sexual experience with a sex worker....i even checked the patency of the condom afterwards....but am still in a lot of anxiety coz of the saliva exchanged ...thereby i started on pep with zidovudine and lamivudine within 48 hours....i just got a lft done and it showz total serum bilirubin to b 1.5..what should i do sir?...i am a 27 year old XXXXXXX and just finished ma mbbs....plesae help me ...i even wanna know should i continue with the pep...
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Get HIV antigen test done

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day

Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Exchange of Saliva does not lead to HIV infection . The virus load in saliva is very minimal or negligible.

If you had protected intercourse with intact condom it's unlikely that you are exposed to infection.
As you have already started pep I would suggest you the following

1. Get a baseline HIV 1 and 2 Elisa test
2. Get HIV P 24 antigen assay and HIV RT PCR 7 days after the exposure , if it's negative further pep is not required

Bilirubin level of 1.5mg% is not of concern if the other liver enzyme are normal .

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak XXXXXXX
MBBS, MS, MCh
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 21 minutes later
thanks a lot sir....is the pep actually required as i think its hitting ma liver...when can i do a dna pcr or western blot test as only both of them are available here...
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
7 days after exposure test can be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi

The level of exposure is not significant. You can get RT PCR HIV 7 days after exposure
You can discontinue pep after negative test.

Best regards
Dr Deepak