What are the chances of STD through sharing spoon and straw?

HIV AIDS Specialist
Question
Sir,
Hope you are doing good ? . I used share spoon and straw while eating with my friend and later I suspect he might have STD .I am worried that will I get STD because of sharing spoon and juice straw .If yes what are the type of STDs I can get ,So that I can do screening and I would like to know Is those STDs are curable or not curable as I am not yet married
Posted Sun, 3 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
STDs not spread.Sharing spoons,straw not advisable

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back to HCM.
Thanks for posting your query to me.

Nothing to get worried or to be anxious about sharing spoon and straw. STDs would not spread through this way unless your friend has any obvious lesions (ulcers, blisters due to STD origin or warts) over his lips. If there is nothing obvious outside, STDs can not spread just by contamination of saliva. In no way it will affect your future married life.
Herpes Simplex type 1 infection which is not a STD in normal circumstances, and other disease spread through salivary contamination like Tuberculosis, lung and upper respiratory tract infections, if any, can spread through sharing the utensils and straw. So it is better to give up that habit.
DR S.Murugan