question-icon

What are the chances of HIV with non penetrative sex?

Posted on Thu, 17 Jul 2014
Question: I am a male with genital hsv1. Bad the first time for a month all over my body. No noticeable outbreaks for a few years now. Had not had sex since contracting. I recently received a hand job from sex partner with some protection. However,her saliva did get on my junk at one point. Was too late to prevent. Felt poor the next day which reminded me of when I first got infected. On the second day I took 400 Acyclovir 2x day that I had from my initial years ago in case of a relapse. Took for 2 days as a precaution. Stopped. Had sore throat for days. 2 days later my genital region was definitely with a sore the size of a half dollar. Skin was peeling on scrotum. I started taking 400 Acyclovir 3x a day. It is not spreading but not clear after 3 more days. It's been a week since the encounter. Groin feels like it is in there like the first time. Looks like it may take 2 weeks or so-who knows. I have enough med to last 2 weeks. (Will need to find a doctor as my last one left.) My question is that I seem to be going through the stages of the my initial genital HSV1. Logic would say it's my first real relapse. I could only hope. However, I am concerned that it is going to be that I have contracted HSV2 having had saliva get on my scrotum. Won't be able to get tested for a month. Could this be HSV2?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
HSV2 infection not possible through saliva contact

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

There seems nothing serious to worry.
Hand job is the safest type of sexual activity among all. Contaminated with her saliva no way increased your risk for HIV/STD. HSV 2 never had been present in saliva (whereas HSV 1 can) and there is no risk for HSV 2 for you by this contamination.
We can not rule out the possibility of HSV 1 recurrence. For that the Acyclovir dose and duration didn't seem to be adequate. So better consult a new physician and follow his/her advice.
DR S.Murugan

Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan (9 hours later)
One more brief question so that it is clear to me. Are you saying that even if she had HSV2 there is no risk of getting it from the saliva on my penis/scrotum?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
HSV 2 will not spread through saliva.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
HSV 1 have manifestations other than genitals, especially in around mouth, nose and eye. Rarely can be transmitted to genitals.
HSV2 will confined to in and around genitals and anus in a normal immuno-competent adult.
So even if the girl had HSV2, her saliva would not contain the virus and it would not be infectious for HSV2.
So nothing to worry.
DR S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist