What are the chances of HIV trasmission after unprotected sex?

Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti

Dermatologist

Posted on Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello Doc..
I am in great stress I have few question in my mind...
I am married man, Approx. 9 days back In the influence of Alcohol I was involved in unsafe sex(not hard sex) with one of Sex worker, all thing happened in 3 to 5 minutes, before that I never ever sex with any Sex worker. I talk to her 2 times to know about her HIV status but she always says she don't have any diseases
1. what are the chances of my for HIV Infection.
2. I have XXXXXXX so many articles, blogs and research's and every where they have mentioned 0.05% to 0.08% chances in 10000 exposers what's it means .
3. I have tried to find out the case studies of those men's who were infected from HIV + girl in one instance but I don't find any single study so I just want to know in USA(NY or Hartford) how many man's were infected due to unprotected sex with HIV+ women's or girls
4. If viral Load is high in women in window period is she looks ill?
Note :- I have already scheduled my STD test including HIV and one rapid test
please give me the answers I know it will not change my results but at least It helps me to come back from Acute Depression.
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to get HIV.Do PCR test

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for query.I am Dr Bharatesh D Basti answering your query.
As you have rightly said the chances of acquiring HIV from sexual intercourse from HIV positive patient varies from 1 in 200 to 1 in 1000.It means that there is 0.05% chance to 0.001% chance that you will get by one intercourse with a HIV positive women if she has high viral loads.It may be still less if low viral loads.
As she has confirmed to you her negative status you need not worry.
All studies do mention range mathematics cannot work always .it depends on number of ulcers/abrasions in both and viral load, contact period and virus presence in infective fluid etc
You can go ahead with PCR tests for HIV.
In window period she can be healthy and some may have non specific symptoms or symptoms of ARS.
I feel you have become more anxious .The partner is already Negative allay fears wait for result
get back to me after results.It will be negative.
you can get back to me for any clarifications
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 27 hours later
Hello Doc, Thanks for reply..
1. its a 10th day I am feeling pain in my throat from last 3-4 days, little shivering, little pain in my testicles from 2 day of exposer and light body pain is that a symptom of HIV?
2. as she comes from Risk Group(As she is Sex Worker in USA) is that increase the chances of my to be infected because at any how I can not believe on her words.
3. I don't have cuts on my penis and the time duration of sex was just 3 minute and as being a inserter I will come in which range?
4.i have also read in some blogs on the "net" that women to man Hiv in first time is very - very difficult to transfer, is that correct if No then do you know how many cases has been reported till know of one time sex with an HIV+ in US?
5. can I go for 1st test after 3 weeks?

again I know these questions can not change my HIV result but just for a mind satisfaction can u plz answer me on these Question?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Allay all fears.PCR after 3 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.

The symptoms like throat pain fever etc all non specific and can be due to simple Upper respiratory infections(URI) also which can be transmitted by the partner or others also.You can take treatment as URI symptomatically.which will usually be viral.If need be antibiotics may be needed.You are worrying just because you had intercourse.Allay fears.

Yes she will be considered High risk if the status is unknown.It is for the patient safety and management unknown patients are said high risk.It is better for patient.Many will be in fact negative.Just category does not increase your risk it is real presence of high viral load is risk which is unlikely according to history.

Undoubtedly absence of cuts or abrasions is a strong safety for you.

Also transmission from female to male is very less or rare for single contacts that too with no abrasions.

I do not think we will get reports or studies of person becoming positive after single intercourse.As many times there are multiple modes of transmission and it is difficult to point to single intercourse.

it is good for you to get PCR and p24 antigen tests done after 3 weeks which will allay your fears totally.
You can allay fears for now.
You can share the results if you desire.
You can get back to me for any clarifications else please close the discussion and rate.
wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 days later
Hello Doc thanks for reply..

Yesterday after 11 days of Exposer I have done below mentioned tests..

1. CHLAMYDIA TRACHOMATIS RNA, TMA
2. HEPATITIS A IgM ANTIBODY
3. HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIGEN W/ REFLEX CONFIRM
4. HEPATITIS C ANTIBODY
5. HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 1 IgG, TYPE SPECIFIC ANTIBODY (HerpeSelect)
6. HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS 2 IgG, TYPE SPECIFIC ANTIBODY (HerpeSelect)
7. HIV-1 RNA, Qualitative, TMA
8. NEISSERIA GONORRHOEAE, RNA, TMA

I am waiting for my results that will be out after 5 days
I just want to confirm one thing is ..all above test are done on 12 day so is it fine time or I need to do it again after some time ..
I am planning to do 2 test after 8 weeks
1. HIV 1 HIV 2 AB, EIA, WITH REFLEXES
2. RPR (DX) W/REFL TITER AND CONFIRMATORY TESTING

Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Okay at 12 days. retest to allay your fears.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
So as you have given for all battery of tests you can allay fears of all the diseases .and I definitely hope all will be negative .
It is okay at 12 Days.
I do not feel the necessity of doing test again.it is done to allay your anxiety and fears .if you still feel or fear you can get it done at 3 or 6 months.
You can share results if you desire.
You can get back to me for any clarification else close the discussion and rate.
Wish you good health
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Hello Doc ,
what is HIV-1 RNA, Qualitative, TMA Test and how much % accuracy comes after 11 days?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tests for HIV-RNA presence.specific test.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
PCR test can come positive even after 3 days of infection if HIV infected. It is specific that 99.9% times it is sure in telling that you really do not have the disease at the time of testing.It detects presence of any HIV RNA material if present at the time of testing.it is more accurate after 10-11 days of exposure.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 39 hours later
Hello Doc.

Here is the report :-

Test Name In Range Out Of Range Reference Range Lab
HIV 1 RNA, QL TMA Not Detected Not Detected AMD
This test was performed using the APTIMA(R) HIV-RNA
Qualitative Assay (Gen-Probe).
HEPATITIS B SURFACE QWA
ANTIGEN W/REFL CONFIRM
HEPATITIS B SURFACE
ANTIGEN NON-REACTIVE NON-REACTIVE
HEPATITIS C ANTIBODY NON-REACTIVE NON-REACTIVE QWA
SIGNAL TO CUT-OFF 0.02 <1.00
HSV 1 IGG, TYPE SPECIFIC QWA
AB HERPESELECT
HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC
AB <0.90
Value Interpretation
----- --------------
<0.90 Negative
0.90-1.10 Equivocal
>1.10 Positive
This assay utilizes recombinant type-specific antigens
to differentiate HSV-1 from HSV-2 infections. A
positive result cannot distinguish between recent and
past infection. If recent HSV infection is suspected
but the results are negative or equivocal, the assay
should be repeated in 4-6 weeks. The performance
characteristics of the assay have not been established
for pediatric populations, immunocompromised patients,
or neonatal screening.
HSV 2 IGG, TYPE SPECIFIC QWA
AB HERPESELECT
HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC
AB <0.90
Value Interpretation
----- --------------
<0.90 Negative
0.90-1.10 Equivocal
>1.10 Positive
or neonatal screening.
HEPATITIS A IGM NON-REACTIVE NON-REACTIVE QWA
PAGE 1 OF 2
Report Status: Final
XXXX, XXXXXXX
Patient Information Specimen Information Client Information
XXXX, XXXXXXX
DOB: 02/08/1982 AGE: 32
Gender: M
Patient ID: 0000MG
Health ID: 0000
Specimen: WC903540V
Collected: 08/09/2014 / 11:11 EDT
Received: 08/09/2014 / 18:07 EDT
Reported: 08/14/2014 / 00:02 EDT
Client #: 0000
ROCKLAND, XXXXXXX
CLIENT SERVICES: 1.866.697.8378 SPECIMEN: WC903540V
Quest, Quest Diagnostics, the associated logo and all associated Quest Diagnostics marks are the trademarks of Quest Diagnostics.
CHLAMYDIA TRACHOMATIS QWA
RNA, TMA NOT DETECTED NOT DETECTED
See Endnote 1
NEISSERIA GONORRHOEAE QWA
RNA, TMA NOT DETECTED NOT DETECTED
See Endnote 1
Endnote 1 This test was performed using the APTIMA COMBO2 Assay
(Gen-Probe Inc.).

I don't understand what this report says ... please help
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All the tests are negative

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
All the tests are negative and you need not worry.
HIV is negative .
Hepatitis A B and C is negative.
Gonorrhea and Chlamydia is negative
HSV 1 and 2 negative for antibodies
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh

Follow up: Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 8 minutes later
one last question Doc..

Should I need to retest all test after 3 months again specifically HIV 1 and HIV2
How many chances to get positive after current result?
Answered by Dr. Bharatesh Devendra Basti 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very rare chance of becoming positive after retest

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for follow up query.
it is not needed to go for test again.
It is only to allay your anxiety you may go for test(HIV1 and HIV2).
The chances of becoming positive is very rare.
Thank you
Dr Bharatesh