• question-icon

What are the chances of HIV transmission through used injections?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: sir last night I went to clinic for my blood sugar test , I was in anxiety that time,nurse pricked my middle finger for blood test on glucometer,i m not sure but I think there was very very small amount of blood particle on needle ,I m not sure ,I want to know whether I will get infected from hiv or not , if needle use on hiv person
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk for HIV.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

There is no risk to get infected with HIV in your case even though there was small blood particle on needle because HIV virus can not survive outside the human body or in dried blood for more than few seconds so no need to worry at all. Secondly, it is very unlikely with good clinics that they will re-use the used needle. Be calm and relaxed as you are absolutely safe and risk free from HIV.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 31 minutes later
thank you very much sir, removing my anxiety, needles means small pin type used by blood draw and that needle was CAPPED, shape like reverse t like capped in thermometer style but not syringe only a pin to pinch in my finger, to draw small drop of blood. I mean to say that she used that pin like needle on hiv person and capped that and again used to pinch my finger, waiting for your reply,
AND AGAIN THANK YOU VERY MUCH SIR!
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not the possibility.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

The needle what the clinicians are using for doing the test is disposable one which is disposed off after use on one patient so don't get anxious as you are safe.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 19 minutes later
thank you so much sir
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

You are always welcome any time. If you need any help in future write directly to me and I am here to help you straight way.

Thank You
Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist