What are the chances of HIV transmission through oral sex?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi, i have been facing many difficulties for the past 2 years as faar as health is concerned i have been having anxiety panick attacks bodily pains weakness headaches nubmness on one side of my head generally feeling down can barely work i have been sexually active but practising safe sex although I have been engaged in oral i have been tested twice for hiv but negative could you possibly get hiv from oral? also is it possible to get hiv and not get tested postive for the first six months ive had other tests like blood tests for all my symptoms but nothing please direct me in the right path im desperate i need help
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment for anxiety disorder is needed likely

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXX,

Thanks for writing to us. I can understand your concern.

From history it seems that you are likely suffering from anxiety disorder.

HIV rarely can pass through oral when oral mucosa damage is there and wound is present. Maximum detection time for HIV is 6 months. With current techniques and tests it can be detected within 4 weeks also. So you are negative that is confirmed. No need to worry about the same.

Consulting a psychiatrist personally will help to diagnose your anxiety disorder specifically with help of history and mental status examination.

Best treatment of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) includes both medicines and cognitive behavior therapy (CBT).

In mild cases only CBT is sufficient. In moderate to severe cases initially medicines and then CBT is added. And later on medicines stopped gradually.
If medicines alone are used chances of relapse are more after stopping the medicines.

In medicines SSRI group of drugs (fluoxetine, paroxetine, sertraline, escitalopram) are main stay of the treatment. I prefer paroxetine. Benzodiazepines group of drugs (clonazeapm, lorazepam or etizolam) are used initially for short duration for fast symptomatic relief.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 9 minutes later
Hi, ive tried medication for 2 weeks it made things worse anyhow anxiety medication just prolonges the situation i want to cut it from the root can anxiety have symptoms like digestive problems numbness and headaches bodily pains and weakness also i have a problem of masterbation ive been masterbating for the last 11 years 2-3 times a day could that trigger my health issues please help thank you!
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
masturbation frequency is high, which medicines have you taken?

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up.

I would like to know which medicines have you taken with dose and who has prescribed?

Yes digestive problems numbness and headaches bodily pains and weakness can be symptoms of anxiety disorder also.

Masturbation is natural and normal thing. It is done by 95% of the males in the world, mostly before marriage as well as when wife is away, in menses or pregnant after marriage. It is not at all harmful. Frequency of masturbation done by an individual varies from once a day to once a week. It depends upon individual libido, wish and timing. It neither causes any weakness nor any problem in sexual activity.

However masturbation 2-3 times a day for more than 10 years is high. It can cause some calorie loss, weakness and related problems if you have not taken enough nutritious meals. Of course there is need in reduction of frequency.

- Let me know your height and weight.

- Is masturbation compulsion for you or can you stop it for a week without any discomfort?

I will be happy to help further after your response.

its not compulsive for me but it is very addicting like if i have to masterbate i will but i can stay strong for a week im 5'10 and 125 pounds ive always been skinny and weak i started masterbating before i could even ejacualte could that be a result of weakness cuz ive been doing it even before i was supposed to ive tried ativan and other drug i forgot its name it would make me halluciante and all these others symptoms that were triggered and are still with me i can barely drive for anhour cuz i get very tense and dizzy these health problems are taking my life away from me i forgot how its like to feel healthy again im young and i know i can do it but medication i dont wana touch i know theres a way of getting better cuz people in the ancient times didnt have all these crazy medication they felt better so can i
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
weight gain is needed, counseling for controlling masturbation

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for information.

Your body mass index (BMI) is less than 18 which suggests you are malnourished.
Your weight should be around 150-160 pounds. So first of all you need modification of diet. Include more protein (egg, milk, milk items, pulses, legumes, sprouts) and micronutrients (vegetables and fruits) in your meals.
You should also go for thyroid and haemoglobin check-up.
Consulting your GP will help to check the reports and also to prescribe some multivitamin tablets.

Ativan can cause sedation and you must not take it without doctor's guidance.

Your problem overall is likely due to excess masturbation. You need to control the habit with help of counseling. Anxiety symptoms are likely due to poor nutrition which will improve as soon as you will have good nutrition. And yes you can control panic attacks with psychotherapy and for that you need to consult specialist.

If still any query there, I will be happy to answer. If not, you can close the discussion and if feasible give your feedback and rating so I can improve my service. In future you can contact me directly on this site if you wish with this link:
http://bit.ly/drchintansolanki
by clicking on 'Ask me a question' on same page.

All the best.